Introduction

MUMPS is a MUltifrontal Massively Parallel sparse direct Solver developed CERFACS, ENSEEIHT-IRIT, and INRIA:

MUMPS is a free solver but it is necessary to register to download it.

It is relatively easy to compile MUMPS under Unix – it is just necessary to slightly modify Makefile.inc, several version of which come with the MUMPS distribution. For Windows users there is WinMumps

a set of Visual Studio project files to compile MUMPS.

The goal of this chapter is to consider how to compile MUMPS under Microsoft Visual Studio and Intel Fortran but under GNU Make. This could be more convenient for those who are get used to GNU Make. The number of changes required is relatively small but it is necessary to modify not only Makefile.inc but also makefiles in src, libseq and examples (total four files), as options for cl and ifort on Windows are not fully compatible with Unix counterparts. See Compiling and Linking: Simple Example with Visual C++ for a short overview of typical options for cl.

The modified files can be browsed at /files/config/MUMPS/4.9.2/ and below I will go through the changes and explain them. Below there is description for a serial version of MUMPS 4.9.2. There is also a version of this document for MUMPS 4.8.4. With these files make in the root of the MUMPS distribution should be enough to build the MUMPS library and examples.

Makefile.inc

This is a modified Makefile.INTEL.SEQ. This file should be put in the root of the MUMPS distribution. Below there are lines that have been changed with comments

#LPORDDIR = $(topdir)/PORD/lib/
#IPORD = -I$(topdir)/PORD/include/
#LPORD = -L$(LPORDDIR) -lpord

I do not use PORD, METIS does the job better.

LMETISDIR = ../lib

This is the library where libmetis.lib is located. I assume that you have copied it to the lib in the MUMPS distribution. It this is not the case, please modify accordingly.

LMETIS = libmetis.lib

This is the name of the METIS library.

ORDERINGSF = -Dmetis

I use only METIS.

CC = cl

The C compiler is cl

AR = lib

The librarian is lib.

LIBSEQ = $(topdir)/libseq/libmpiseq.lib

The library has the extension lib

LIBBLAS = mkl_intel_c.lib mkl_intel_thread.lib mkl_core.lib libiomp5md.lib

This are libraries from Intel MKL. cl and ifort usually find them by using the variable LIB.

LIBOTHERS = -link -LIBPATH:$(LMETISDIR)

We do not need pthread on Windows. Here one can specify where the linker should find the libraries. This is working because this is the last macro on the line to compile examples. If you need to specify path to other libraries, for example BLAS, please do it here.

OPTF = -O3 -MD -Dintel_ -DALLOW_NON_INIT -fpp
OPTL =
OPTC = -O2 -MD

These are optimization flags.

LIBM = $(LIBSEQ)

It is necessary to rename the variable LIB. This variable is used by cl and ifort and without it they will not find system libraries as well as MKL libraries.

src/Makefile and libseq/Makefile

Copy these two files in src/ and libseq/ accordingly.

In these two files it is necessary:

1) To rename *.a to *.lib. The libraries on Windows have the extension lib.

2) To change the option -o to write an object file to -Fo. By default cl and ifort give the extension *.obj to object files (not *.o). With -Fo option it is possible to force cl and ifort to compile to *.o.

3) To change flag for the librarian to -out: in lines with $(AR).

examples/Makefile

Copy this file to examples/

In this file in addition to first two changes above it was also necessary to modify $(LIB) to $(LIBM).

Discussion

This is the official MUMPS Discussion List.

Comments

20 responses to “Compiling MUMPS 4.9.2 under Microsoft Visual Studio and Intel Fortran with GNU Make”

Comments are now closed
  1. tang says:

Dear Dr. Evgenii Rudnyi,

Thank you very much for your contribution. I have two questions:
    1) Do you have any plan to give makes to build the parallel version of MUMPS, or do you have already done so? Is there any speedup when set OMP_NUM_THREADS > 1?

2) Do you have any suggestion to call the parallel MUMPS without the explicit command “mpiexec -n -4 mumps_example.exe”? Since the MUMPS is called with sparse matrix data inputted to the solver, it is not possible to send sparse matrix data to the executable solver.

Thanks,
    Zhanghong Tang

2. Dear Zhanghong,

I use MUMPS with shared memory when the speed up goes through multithreaded BLAS. There is speed up here indeed but it depends on a matrix. I could run such a version with your matrix.

As for MPI, I guess that it could be possible to run MPI from the code without mpiexec but then it is necessary to learn MPI. You may want to look at Trilinos, but I should say that this is a huge library.

It would be simpler to specify a matrix through file, say

mpiexec -n -4 mumps_example matrix_name

You will my code that does this at

see file7 assemble.tar.gz.

Evgenii

3. tang says:

Dear Dr. Evgenii Rudnyi,

Thank you very much for your kindly reply. Which BLAS do you used? I tried the multithreaded BLAS (Intel MKL, GoToBLAS) and the speedup is not apparent, and often the time of solution increase when number of threads > 1.

My matrix type is double complex and unsymmetric. If you can tell me an email box, I can send it to you (gmail is good since the file is very large).

Thanks,
    Zhanghong Tang

4. Dear Zhanghong,

Right now I am using Intel MKL. Let me describe what I see on my notebook HP EliteBook with two processors under XP-64.

First it is good to check MKL alone. To this end, you can try dgesv.cpp to solve a system of linear equations from

makefile compiles it with 64-bit MKL under 64-bit VC (cl).

I get results for a random dense matrix of 10000 as follows (I am working under Cygwin, tcsh, so you may need to modify the commands accordingly)

$ setenv OMP_NUM_THREADS 1
    ./dgesv 10000
    dgesv is over for 62.484

$ setenv OMP_NUM_THREADS 2
    ./dgesv 10000
    dgesv is over for 37.829

As one sees, the speed up is pretty good. Now I use serial MUMPS with the code run_mumps.cpp from

Here the makefile compiles with 32-bit MKL under 32-bit VC (cl). The results with my matrix water_tank

are as follows

$ setenv OMP_NUM_THREADS 1
    $ ./run_mumps.exe water_tank.mtx
    TIME: Factorization is done for 6.734 s

$ setenv OMP_NUM_THREADS 2
    $ ./run_mumps.exe water_tank.mtx
    TIME: Factorization is done for 4.782 s

Speed up is not that spectacular indeed but it is there. Would it be possible to upload your matrix to

5. Martin says:

Dear Evgenii,
    I followed your instructions and was able to successfully build libdmumps.lib and libmumps_common.lib. I’m now trying to create a Visual Studio 2008 project that rebuilds the dsimpletest.F example included in the MUMPS distribution.
    However, I get a lot of linking errors, so, just to make sure: which files have to be linked to the project in order for the code to work correctly?
    Right now I have libdmumps.lib, libmetis.lib libmumps_common.lib, fmpich2.lib, mkl_intel_lp64.lib, mkl_intel_thread.lib, mkl_core.lib, libiomp5md.lib.
    Thanks in advance for your opinion on this.
    Best regards,
    Martin

6. This is the command from the command line that is okay by me

cl -o c_example c_example.o ../lib/libdmumps.lib ../lib/libmumps_common.lib libmetis.lib ../libseq/libmpiseq.lib mkl_intel_c.lib mkl_intel_thread.lib mkl_core.lib libiomp5md.lib -link -LIBPATH:../../../../ms/lib/bin/

Try to do it first from the command line. I would say that this is easier. I do not have fmpich2.lib though. Do you compile MUMPS parallel? Or shared memory should be okay?

7. Martin says:

After setting my own libpaths that did work, however, I still don’t get it why it doesn’t work from inside VS08. I created a new project, added the source file, set the include paths to the MUMPS and MPI include paths (the latter since mpi.h is used in the example program), and told the linker to add libdmumps.lib, libmetis.lib, libmumps_common.lib, mkl_intel_c.lib, mkl_intel_thread.lib, mkl_core.lib, libiomp5md.lib and libmpiseq.lib.
    The linker errors I’m getting are now about the unresolved symbols “_MPI_INIT”, “_MPI_COMM_RANK”, “_MPI_FINALIZE” and “_dmumps_c”, all in function “_main”.

8. Martin says:

…continued: I solved it now. There was one more path for the linker that I also entered as additional LIBPATH; after I deleted it and recreated the project it works. Strange though. Anyway, thanks fpr your response :-)

9. I am glad to hear that you have done it. I do not know the VS GUI, sorry, I prefer the command line.

By the way, one can use nm in Cygwin to find which a library has the unresolved symbol. I guess that VS should have also something like this.

10. Martin says:

Mh, do you by any chance also have an example on how to build the FORTRAN example? It should be similar of course, but this time cleaning the linker input directories doesn’t do the trick any more. Compiler in that case would be ifort.

11. My makefile produces the next command

ifort -o dsimpletest dsimpletest.o ../lib/libdmumps.lib ../lib/libmumps_common.lib libmetis.lib ../libseq/libmpiseq.lib mkl_intel_c.lib mkl_intel_thread.lib mkl_core.lib libiomp5md.lib -link -LIBPATH:../../../../ms/lib/bin/

but I do not have ifort right now and cannot say for sure whether it is working. Yet, I believe that it should, I think it was working that way. Just try to use ifort as a linker instead of cl and see what happens.

12. Martin says:

Mh I think one of the problems is that in the FORTRAN include files there’s no declaration of the DMUMPS subroutine, so that it can’t be found in the libs belonging to MUMPS. I tried to write one myself like

INTERFACE
    SUBROUTINE DMUMPS(mumps_par) bind(C, name=”DMUMPS”)
    INCLUDE ‘mpif.h’
    INCLUDE ‘dmumps_struc.h’
    TYPE(DMUMPS_STRUC) :: mumps_par
    END SUBROUTINE DMUMPS
    END INTERFACE

but it didn’t work out. I’ll keep an eye on this.

13. I do not think so. I have never changed MUMPS files. As I have written, you can use nm to find it out where missing symbols are. What the error from the linker you get?

14. Martin says:

I’m getting an error about an unresolved external symbol “DMUMPS” in function “main_”. The files I linked were: libmetis.lib libmumps_common.lib mkl_intel_lp64.lib mkl_intel_thread.lib mkl_core.lib libiomp5md.lib fmpich2.lib dmumps_fortran_mp.lib. Even if I add libmpiseq.lib the error won’t go away.
    When I take a look at the FORTRAN include files, I can’t find any reference to the function DMUMPS which is called from the main program. In the C example however, a declaration like this is contained in one of the include files.

15. I have just tried nm

$ nm libdmumps.lib | grep -iw _dmumps
    U _DMUMPS
    00013666 T _DMUMPS

So DMUMPS is in this lib. You may check with nm the object file that you want to link to make sure that there the name is exactly the same.

If you was able to link from C, then this must work for Fortran as well. When you compile the file, you obtain an object file and it is already programming language independent.

Try to compile from the command line, it is much easier than from GUI.

16. carlos says:

Hi,

I did not understand the purpose of WinMumps. I can program in MUMPS within the VisualStudio 2010 C # Express?
    Thank you.

17. WinMumps allows you to compile MUMPS under Visual Studio provided that you have also Intel Fortran installed. MUMPS is written mostly in Fortran 90 and there are some funtions written in C (not C#).

18. erick says:

Dear Dr. Evgenii Rudnyi,
    Thank you very much for your contribution.Now i want to use the WinMumps on the windows plat. Is it sequential
    version or parallel version?if I want to complie palallel version, what libraries do I need to add?

19. I have never used WinMumps, sorry. You may want to this at the MUMPS discussion list.